Transportation Grassroots Grants
Go Vermont Grassroots Grants for Energy Committees
The VTrans Public Transit Section is offering grants to municipalities to assist in building a statewide outreach and advocacy network for the Go Vermont Program (www.connectingcommuters.org). VTrans will provide a $500 grant to participating municipal energy committees.
Go Vermont is a web-based clearinghouse for all transportation modes in Vermont, featuring an automated carpool, vanpool and public transit matching service, a vanpool program, information for State Park and Ride locations, and a link to “511” traffic conditions. In effect, the framework and services have been established for Go Vermont, and the focus has now shifted toward building program participation to achieve the necessary critical mass for rideshare matches, and toward facilitating efficient transportation options versus continued operation of single occupancy vehicles. To this end, the project objectives are as follows:
- Broaden Go Vermont outreach efforts
- Build relationships with local committees and advocates
- Identify local and regional transportation priorities and activities
- Increase traffic to the Go Vermont website and tools (www.connectingcommuters.org)
- Focus regional and local initiatives and advocacy efforts
- The ultimate goal of this program is to increase program awareness, carpool registrations, numbers of vanpools and general activity on the Go Vermont website.
- Present program and materials at events held in your municipality (e.g. farmer’s mkts, fairs, holiday events)
- Post promotional materials at the municipal offices and on local business and community bulletin boards
- Meet and work with participating local employers to promote and advocate for the efficient transportation services offered through Go Vermont.
- Present program and materials at a selectboard meeting and at the annual Town Meeting.
- Host a special event to address transportation costs and options
- Perform a door-to-door campaign, sharing information and dropping off promotional materials
- Promote and advocate for plug-in electric vehicles (EVs) and infrastructure
- Place a Go Vermont sign at municipal Park and Ride(s)
- Additional efforts to help build awareness and to support efficient transportation choices
Contact Ross MacDonald at Ross.MacDonald@state.vt.us for more details. Let’s work together to reduce transportation costs and pollution!